YouTube video tags are one of the most critical components to getting your YouTube videos found. They operate like keywords for your videos and should be taken as seriously as the other metadata you choose for your video. So how do you find the best tags to add?
Google’s Keyword Planner is a free tool that marketers use to find the right keywords for their paid ads – but you should be using it to find YouTube video tags too! Here’s the step by step process to using it:
1. Visit Google Ads
2. In the header bar, click “Tools”
3. Under the “Planning” tab, click “Keyword planner”
4. Click “Find New Keywords”
5. Enter a keyword that’s most closely associated with your video and click “Get Started”.
6. Click the column “Avg. monthly searches”. This will present keywords with the most monthly searches at the top.
7. Add keywords with the highest number of monthly searches into the tags section of your YouTube video.
8. Click save, and you’re all set!
You’ll want to periodically revisit each of your videos and repeat this process to optimize your videos every few months. This will keep your tags fresh and increases your chances of appearing on the coveted page one of search results.